This was a custom piece done for a couple in DC. I’m so bummed that I forgot to stage and photograph it properly before it was picked up for delivery. This is the ONLY shot I have of it. Yikes. Although the picture isn’t worth much, the lessons I learned from using Martha Stewart Metallic paint are. So here goes:
-Hand sanded the entire piece.
-Primed with two coats of Kilz water based primer that was tinted a gray to match the metallic silver.
-Painted up to three or four coats of Martha Stewart Metallic Polished Silver paint with a 6 inch roller. I worked with a roller and 2 inch paint brush to get a smooth finish on the top. After rolling the paint on, I quickly ran the brush from left to right in straight lines to eliminate bubbles.
-Spray painted the hardware with black.
-Sealed the entire piece with two coats of Minwax Wipe-On Polyurethane.
Touch up was a nightmare. I’m not sure why but there is something about the properties of metallic silver that didn’t work for touch up. All touched up areas looked chalky and didn’t have metallic sheen. I ensured that the paint was mixed well and that I was using the same container for touch-up that I used to paint the entire piece. My advice, based on my experience, is not to touch up.